Thursday, May 15, 2008

Alot of work but most done.

So tomorrow its Friday.
This week has gone so fast, but have been very busy.
The "voip" gateway is done and now I'm just waiting for the phones to arrive to make the real tests.

I made some iptraf checking on the gateway when I put just one sip adapter behind it without any other traffic.
Made a call out and results after 1 min (open call) it generated ~5200 packages and used about 140-155KBit/sec.
Same the other way around from an outgoing call to the phone it self.

150Kbps if I'm not wrong is a lot for just one voip call?

So what happens if we put 60 phones? Can only say -"For me to find out?!", right?

Well one thing is, the adapter I'm using don't have from what I have checked any setting to change the compression or as well to see/change the codec.
And I bet the phones that will arrive will have at least something like that to change and test with.

With some Google search of what/how skype works that still has ok quality:

Skype uses GIPS codecs. iLBC was created by Global IP Sound (GIPS). Skype is wideband capable. Therefore Skype uses wideband iLBC.


iLBC uses:
Bitrate 13.33 kbps (399 bits, packetized in 50 bytes) for the frame size of 30 ms and 15.2 kbps (303 bits, packetized in 38 bytes) for the frame size of 20 ms.


That is far away from what I have seen.
So yes, for me to find out, next week I hope.

Will 4Mbit link be enough? Will we need to have a redundant PSTN due to unbalanced traffic? If it's not working out, what will be the options?


A lot of questions and more for sure to come.
But at the moment there is a lot of other things to think about as well.

THE FUTURE


And hey, we have a strange bird sitting outside just watching.
Scary and very strange.

1 comments:

Enligt mig. said...

Jag är blond så jag fattar inte. Men jag älskar dig ändå ;-) Puss